Sunday, February 17, 2008

West Rock Park, CT

For the second weekend in a row I went to West Rock Park, but this time I brought along Anne, my housemate. I didn't do much nature observing, but we just took a nice leisurely hike instead.

Anne at the Lake Wintergreen entrance to the park



Near the park entrance I saw that damn spruce that's haunting me. I think it's a Norway spruce because of the reddish branches, but I am not sure.

Branch



Old Cone (right?)


Bark


Random Polypore


I took some pictures of an eastern hemlock branch and trunk just to remind myself what the bark looks like.

Eastern Hemlock Branch (Tsuga canadensis)


Eastern Hemlock Bark


To continue my observation of different birch species...I noticed this silvery, peeling birch tree shining in the sun. I had a lot of trouble identifying this species at first. Part of the reason is because the Audubon guide has a single picture of the yellow birch (Betula allagheniensis) where the bark is clearly yellowish, not silvery as in my photo. The solution came from a fun little book called "Discover Nature in Winter." This book says that yellow birch peels in small horizontal scrolls which makes trees look "messy." As the tree ages, the bark turns from bright silvery gray (as seen here) to a reddish or yellowish brown.

Yellow Birch (Betula allagheniensis)
Family: Betulaceae (Birches)



Have no idea what this is. Anyone?



It was definitely an interesting walk. A few days ago we had some of the most intense rains I have seen in a long time, and this was evident in the temporary streams that had formed throughout the woods.

-SG

No comments: