Sunday, January 6, 2008

Last Day In Miami

Today was my last full day in Miami, which meant my last chance to relax before its back to the scientific grind (i.e. finishing my thesis). I spent the day reading Bill Bryson's "A short history of nearly everything," and listening to a few episodes of "Dimension X," which was a science fiction radio show in the early 1950s. I highly recommend it. It contains pieces written by Ray Bradbury, Isaac Asimov, and other famous writers of the genre. One interesting note: when I was listening to the episode from 24 June 1950 entitled "Destination Moon," they (NBC Radio) interrupted the program to announce that North Korea had just invaded South Korea to achieve unification.

Anyway, I wandered around the "boardwalk" which surrounds my aunt's condo complex and did not see much in the way of animal life. But as I was about to go back inside and plop myself on the couch I heard a chipping sound coming from the mangrove near my aunt's porch. I looked around and then caught view of a beautiful little bird which appears to have been a yellow-throated warbler (Dendroica dominica). This bird had vibrant colors, with a bright yellow patch on the throat, a white underside, and sharp black striping running down the flanks (on a background of white). The face also had black striping that seemed to run through the eye and the cap was a solid dark color. A man popped out from the condo unit next door and remarked how pretty the bird was.

After a few hours of relaxation, giving the pulsing sun ample time to calm itself down, I ventured out to the beach. Apparently there was a storm recently, which might explain why there was so much algae coating the shoreline. And with the seaweed there hitchhiked many other forms of life. Immediately I was frustrated by not having a camera (mine is broken). I collected all the interesting scraps I could fit in my hands and then sat down in the sand with my two shore guides. But sadly most of what I had found was not in the books, or at least did not resemble the descriptions according to my non-discerning eye. I found many different types of sponges including one that was orange and had very fine lobes.

The only thing I could positively identify was a strange looking algae which is seemingly known as cactus algae (
Halimeda spp.). The specimen I found was light green and made up of a chain of light green leathery segments (fronds?) attached in a row. The hardness of the algae is due to calcium carbonate deposited by the organism itself, which supposedly makes it inedible to most herbivores. I read a report online that showed that the deep waters behind the great barrier reef are covered with Halimeda mounds. Apparently, when the Halimeda algae die, they collect into large piles over thousands of years and are inhabited by a range of life forms. They tend to form near reefs because there is nutrient upwelling as the deep waters of the ocean meet the shallower reefs. In any case, this group of algae looks quite interesting.

Well, tomorrow, its off to New Haven (home) for a lot of work and a little winter nature watching - time permitting.

-Scott

No comments: